In Data We Trust
Ajit Sivadasan, VP/GM Global eCommerce, Lenovo
Icebreaker: How you hold your drink reveals your personality.
2009 study established 8 personality types based on how you hold your drink in a bar.
How Lenovo Transformed their brand
- What is driving change?
- What are the new rules?
- How do we leverage the new model?
Macro Change Agents
- Online traffic is accelerating
- 560% growth in adoption since 2000
- Moving to massively online platforms
- Khan Academy
- Code Academy
- Social / Digital driving the network effect
- Social media reaches 82% of the world and uses 19% of total time spent online
- Marketing Model has changed
- Data is creating opportunities
- By 2020, the digital universe will grow by a factor of 300
- From now until 2020, the digital universe will double every two years
- Cost paradigms are changing
- 33% of available data can be explored
The Marketing Evolution
Mass Marketing -> Digital Marketing -> Digital Engagement
Mass Marketing – TV, Print, Billboards. KPI: Impressions & Awareness
For the first time, brands have to let go. The power of the brand is in the power of the consumers.
What is the new landscape?
Active participation rules the day. Millions of people collaborate with each other to create their own experiences, mixing and remixing as they go. The era of packaged experiences is over.
What are the new rules?
The Engagement Paradigm
Combining traditional, digital, social and event marketing tactics to invite consumers to participate with the brand.
Inviting the Digital Generation to be actively involved through-out the customer journey.
Tools of Engagement
Original Content | Co-Creation
Influencers & Communities
Excite -> Explore -> Connect -> Ownership
Ownership -> Share -> Participate -> Advocacy (This is the final goal.)
from 1.8ZB in 2011 to 7.9ZB in 2015
Unstructured Data driving significant portion of the overall data
Marketing Technology Ecosystem is broad, complicated and evolving continuously.
How can we leverage the new model?
- click stream analysis to understand real time customer behavior
- real time media mix modeling with all digital/social campaigns
- customer segmentation with click stream to drive conversion
- conjoint analysis to drive merchandising in near real time (variable pricing)
- social sentiment analysis and associated data visualization
- customer life time value based marketing to leverage CRM trends
- real time 4P analysis for e-commerce across 25 countries
You have different groups of visitors (low value, high value, investigators, researchers, etc.), but you probably give them the same experience. Data is powerful, because it truly tells you what customers value.
Digital/Mobile/Social Marketing campaigns can drive real time measureability and optimization.
Yoga Tablet #betterway
- pre-launch – asking people what they thought the better way was, engaging with customers
- build excitement
- introduce #betterway
- teaser posts & vine videos to encourage dialogue
- launch event
Reach -> Participate -> Ownership
Marketing is going to become increasingly accountable. It’s measurable and will hold people accountable.
- Data is central
- Understanding of 4 Vs
- Marketing that is digital/mobile/social drives measureability
- the quest for real-time everything is on
- speed of feedback will be the source of competitiveness