Monday, March 12, 2012 at South by Southwest Interactive Conference, Austin, Texas #sxsw #ownmedia
by Cristina Monteiro (Marketing Manager – Pepsico Brazil), Lucas Mello (CEO – Live AD), Mauro Silva (Creative Director – Live AD), and Ricardo Guerra (Head of Consumer Channels – Banco Itau)
- Own Media
- Paid Media
- Earned Media
The Rise of Own Media
- new digital technologies
- impact of startup culture on brands
- facebook fanpages, a new friendly environment for brands (you can now submit your brand work to the Facebook Gallery)
Live AD Brasil did a campaign for Nike called the SP-RIO Challenge which featured runners running on relay teams for 600km.
Nike used FuelBands to connect the athletes to their social networks. There were “like” mats along the route that would allow them to send Twitter messages and Facebook posts as they were running along the route. Successful campaign where athletes shared the fun of running on their own networks, as well as will Nike.
In Brazil, people don’t start running until they’re in their mid-30’s so Nike has a challenge to create a new running culture.
Started with Own Media. Started Twitter account @nikecorre 5 years ago and now has 169,183 followers. Started Facebook fan page 3 years ago which now has almost 300,000 fans. One year ago they started a runner influencers group with 3000 runners.
What they have found is that people are no longer only consumers. They were able to start communicating with their running network 5 months before the event because people are now also the media which could point their networks to the “own media” that they had created.
Here are the properties that were created for the race, which is now an annual event:
Doritos (Pepsico Brazil)
What they learned from their campaigns
- Know your brand personality and be faithful to your fans/customers
- Create a digital culture
- 8th largest bank in the world
- 50 million clients
- 40% of credit card market share
- 2 million online daily visitors
- 30,000 ATMs
- 4,000 Branches
- Nike Releases FuelBand API at SXSW Music Hackathon (mashable.com)
- First impressions of the Nike+ Fuelband; elegant design, limited functionality (zdnet.com)
- Nike+ FuelBand turns your physical activity into Fuel (geek.com)