Here is my summary of the “One Size Fits No One” presentation by Jason Burby at Digital Velocity Tealium User Conference 2014, San Diego, CA
Presenter: Jason Burby, Chief Performance Marketing Officer – POSSIBLE
Tailored messages work better
There are many many things that shape who we are, what matters to us (at a point in time) and what drives passion, focus and priority.
Treating EVERYONE the same (Failures of common sense marketing)
Online banking. If all you ever do is sign in, why are they marketing to you? They’re training you to tune out the rest of the page.
Lulu Lemon – Marketing to women, even if they know you are male.
We often take a good idea, but apply it to everyone.
Top 8 Reasons Marketers Struggle
- Lack of Defined, Documented & Shared Goals
Ways to Overcome: Alignment, Focus, Champion
- Lack of Resources
Ways to Overcome: Tealium Tag Management, Focus on Goal Performance, Invest in People
- Over-Investment in Data & Reporting versus Taking Action
Ways to Overcome: Focus on transforming data into actionable opportunities, Shift focus from data to action
- Marketers Aren’t Enabled to Make Changes Quickly and Easily
Ways to Overcome: Over-reliance on IT, Shift Processes/Culture, Invest in Action Enablers
- Lack of Holistic View of Customer/Prospect (online & offline)
Ways to Overcome: Avoid organizational silos, think holistically about interactions/experiences, tailor messages, learn about Tealium AudienceStream
- Moving to Quickly – limited resources/budget constant focus on NEXT initiative
Ways to Overcome: Focus on fewer things (tied to goals), ongoing optimization approach, reserve budget, dynamic prioritization
- Where to Start When Creating Segments?
Ways to Overcome: Start small, focus on what matters (goals), leverage technology
- Concerns that different versions of content for different people can’t be rolled out
Ways to Overcome: Retargeting media technologies, many CMS have basic targeting capabilities, multiple different targeting solutions and price points to tailor messages.
DEFINE – DISCOVER – DISTRIBUTE
Ways to Target
Behavioral Based + Profile Based (Demographic/Psychographics) = Segment/Persona Based
Behavioral Based Examples
- Previous purchases
- Previous visits
Profile Based Examples
Segment/Persona Based Examples
- Appliance Shopper
- Platinum Member
When done correctly marketers can deliver a unified marketing experience across all touch points.
There are different ways that we want to talk to people, even within the same segment.
INSPIRE – EMPOWER – ADVOCATE
- Customizing messages to audiences will improve your success
- Make it a goal to start treating people differently
- unified marketing across all channels is key to maximizing impact
- Web site, media, social and more
What you need to do.
- Get to know Audience Stream
- Think about Culture/Process Changes to Tackle
- Write down the first three segments/personas that YOU think have the greatest potential impact to target
- What does unified marketing mean to YOUR business and customers?
- We need to start taking advantage of the technology to better speak to our customer, prospects and partners
- If we continue to try to serve everyone EVERYTHING we are in trouble
What do YOU think? Let me know...